FREE weekly Tarot card & tips to learn to read Tarot

It’s Over! Top 10 Tarot Cards for Relationship Break-Ups

by Brigit on November 30, 2010 in Top 10 Tarot Cards

Ten Swords Tarot Card

A relationship break-up can be incredibly disappointing and hurtful. So, what Tarot cards should you look out for to foresee if a relationship is about to end? Here are my top ten Tarot cards for relationship break-ups.

Ten of Swords—One look at the imagery on the Ten of Swords and it is clear that this is about a painful, dramatic and perhaps unexpected ending. You have been deeply hurt and betrayed in this break-up and it will take many months, or even years, to heal from this difficult experience. However, keep faith as this Ten heralds a new cycle in life and new beginnings on the horizon.

HermitHermit—The Hermit is a solitary figure, representing a time of isolation and withdrawal from others. I see this as indicative of being ‘single’ and using this time to reflect on one’s personal and spiritual goals. So, while it is not strictly a ‘break-up’ card, it suggests a time of solitude and being on one’s own.

TowerTower—Again, what stark imagery in the Tower! A lightning bolt strikes, the building is in flames, and people are leaping from the windows. This card reflects great turmoil or a major shake-up that forces you to change the way you see the world. Just when you thought you were in a safe and comfortable relationship, an event has occurred which has turned the relationship upside-down. You are now confronted with major change and may be dealing with divorce or the end of a long-term relationship.

Three of SwordsThree of Swords—In the Three of Swords, we see a heart pierced by three swords. This card indicates grief, heartbreak and sorrow. This card may appear when a relatively new relationship has come to an end, because thankfully we see the sun shining from behind the clouds, suggesting that this heartbreak is only temporary and you will soon move on to greener pastures.

Three of CupsThree of Cups reversed—Ah, the Three of Cups reversed! I nearly always see this card when there is a love triangle or an unfaithful partner. Now, if this is not what you signed up for, it is likely it will lead to the end of the relationship. You need to be clear about the boundaries of your relationship and what you will and won’t stand for!

Five of SwordsFive of Swords—The Five of Swords shows that battle has been fought and lost. Perhaps you have been going through a long period of disagreements and arguments with your partner and have finally decided to go your separate ways. While the arguing is over, you may not have the closure or ‘final word’ that you were looking for. Instead of pushing the matter, it is time to let go.

DeathDeath—Death is a card of change and transformation, endings and beginnings. Your relationship may have reached its final cycle and has come to an end. It is now time to let go of the past and embrace the future by bringing about change. In many cases this will mean the imminent end of the relationship, but take a look at the other cards in your reading as it is possible that change may occur within the relationship itself, steering it in a new and more positive direction.

Two of CupsTwo of Cups reversed—Upright, this is a card of emotional connections and bonds between two people. Reversed, the Two of Cups reflects the end of a relationship, but perhaps it is under the context of a ‘mutual parting of ways’. You have both agreed that it is best to separate and break the bond that you once shared.

Five of PentaclesFive of Pentacles—The Five of Pentacles indicates failure and loss. Two destitute figures walk in the snow, shut outside of the church despite being in need of a helping hand. With this card, expect to feel isolated and ‘shut out’ of a relationship, experiencing some financial and spiritual loss as a result. Your partner may be refusing to help you or is withholding your finances as a result of a dispute.

Ten of PentaclesTen of Pentacles reversed—Upright, the Ten of Pentacles reflects an established relationship – possibly a long-term marriage along with an extended family network. Reversed, this marriage may be coming to an end and now you are having to divest family assets and separate your finances as part of the break-up. Your family and home life are being affected too.

What other Tarot cards do you associate with break-ups and the end of a relationship? Leave your comments below!

Do you want to know what each of the 78 Tarot cards mean in a relationship Tarot reading? Buy my latest eBook “The Ultimate Guide to Tarot Card Meanings” to discover the Tarot card meanings for relationships, love, career, work, finance and spirituality Tarot readings. Click here to find out more.

{ 125 comments… read them below or add one }

Cheryl December 1, 2010 at 2:45 am

Thank you for so generously sharing your knowledge of the tarot. Your website is wonderful, informative, and the wording is in terms a beginner can easily understand. I love your helpful articles such as this. With gratitude, Cheryl (British Columbia, Canada)

Biddy_Tarot December 2, 2010 at 7:10 am

Thanks for your positive comments! I am really glad to hear that you find my Tarot blog helpful!

Ana Carvalho December 2, 2010 at 1:30 am

Hi Biddy!

The Seven of Swords came up on my daily spread on the day my ex boyfriend and I broke up! Till this day I believe he didn’t give me his honest reasons for wanting to break up! ;)

I’m also curious about something, when you layout the cards for a spread do you spread them and choose randomly or do you pick them up from the top of the deck in order? I was taught to pick the top ones but it never felt right so I just choose them randomly! How do you do it?

Biddy_Tarot December 2, 2010 at 6:39 am

Hi Ana,
Great suggestion with the Seven of Swords! This card often represents deception and betrayal – two elements that do not go hand in hand with a positive relationship!
In laying out the cards, I choose the cards off the top of the deck, however many readers fan out the deck and then select a card randomly. I think it’s best to do whatever feels right to you! There’s no one right way.
Thanks, Biddy

Lisa December 29, 2010 at 2:59 pm

What about the 8 of Cups? I’m curious you didn’t include it since I thought it meant walking away from something/someone in disappointment with no more hope of fixing. What has your experience been with the 8 of Cups? Breakups, something less serious?
(And thanks for your website! Your individual card pages are super-helpful resources for learning!)

Biddy_Tarot December 29, 2010 at 3:09 pm

Hi Lisa,
Great suggestion! The Eight of Cups is definitely about walking away from something, particularly that is of an emotional nature. Often it reflects a time when there are still many unresolved relationship issues, but you know it is still the right time to leave the relationship and move on. The issues may be insurmountable (particularly if the Eight of Cups is reversed).
Thanks, Biddy

Lora December 31, 2010 at 3:33 pm

Good Evening: I am new at this and have a question: With a regular deck of playing cards I did the relationship spread. I have been dating a man for 3 months, and broke up this evening: I did the reading about 2 months ago. These were the cards: top left: Queen Spades, top Right Ace Hearts, under the Queen 3 of hearts, middle 7 Hearts, under the ace of hearts Ace of Dimonds, under 3 of hearts 9 of Hearts, under Ace of Diamonds 2 of Spades, What is your taken on this reading? Thank you so much Lora

Biddy_Tarot January 7, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Hi Lora,
Thanks for sharing your reading. I have to say that I’m not very familiar with using regular playing cards for a Tarot reading, but I know that it can be done! (If you’re like me and need a refresher on what playing card suits relate to what Tarot suit, click here). I certainly prefer using actual Tarot cards because I really tune in to the pictures and visual messages of the cards.
I am also not familiar with the “H Spread” – could you shed some light on this? Once I know a little more about the meaning of each position, we can take a better look at your reading.
Thanks, Biddy

Lora December 31, 2010 at 4:19 pm

I forgot to add I used the H spread…. Thanks Again Lora

The Magician Reversed January 12, 2011 at 6:41 am

Thanks – really interesting style of post and very thought-provoking! Particularly for a newbie like me. On a topic such as this it’s useful to get this kind of analysis of cards beyond the more obvious relationship break-up cards such as Death and the Ten of Swords.

Lora January 18, 2011 at 3:32 am

Good Morning,

Thank you for your reply. The H spread is something I found on line. 3 on the left-3 on the right-1 in the middle. My cards in a straight line down the left side of the H were: Queen of Spades, that card is suppose to represent how I see myself; continuing down the left side of the H, my next card was a 3 of hearts, that card is suppose to represent how I feel about my partner, lastly on the lower left my card was 9 of heart, that is suppose to represent how my partner sees me. My center card was 7 of hearts, that is suppose to represent the present status or challenge of the relationship. Moving to the right hand side; top right my card was Ace of hearts, that is suppose to represent how I see my partner, center right my card was Ace of diamonds, that is suppose to represent what stands between me and my partner, lastly lower right my card was 2 of Spades that is suppose to represent what my partner feels about me. This relationship has been on again off again, he is so jealous of a man I dated for a brief time, before I even knew him. He brings him up in every conversation. He is 50, been single 26 years. I am 53, was married 25 years, my husband passed away 20 months ago. Ironically this man and my husband have the same name. John.

Lisa February 6, 2011 at 5:32 am

Thank you Biddy for this article. Very informative. <3

Tam May 27, 2011 at 7:51 am

Hi Biddy,

I was wondering if a Hanged Man could be added to the list of break-up cards. Wouldn’t that mean a voluntary break up as such? Also, maybe queen/king of pentacles reversed?
Just an idea that I thought I’d share :)

Biddy_Tarot May 28, 2011 at 6:30 pm

Great suggestion! I would see the Hanged Man as perhaps a significant break in the relationship, where one or both parties need to have some time away from the relationship to collect their thoughts and decide what’s best for them and the relationship. It may end up that the relationship ends completely, but it is more reflective of the ‘pause’ in that relationship.
Biddy

JHW May 31, 2011 at 2:49 am

I would add “Judgement” as a break-up card. As in, “forgive, let go, move on.”

Biddy_Tarot May 31, 2011 at 9:55 am

Great suggestion! Although, I suppose Judgement could go one of two ways… After a period of contemplation and evaluation, you may also decide that you need to re-commit to the relationship or look at the relationship quite differently. Of course, you may also decide that it’s just not for you and it is indeed time to move on.

JHW June 5, 2011 at 3:23 am

Biddy, that’s true. Judgement can mean taking the time to decide to forgive and stay together, or forgive and move on. Thank you!

Blake July 19, 2011 at 6:38 am

I recently did a reading where the three of cups, I suspect, referred to the triangle between a husband, wife and mother-in-law. The husband was overly attached, the mother-in-law constantly caused trouble with the wife and there was no reason to believe infidelity. Do you think this could be a possible interpretation for the three of cups?

Biddy_Tarot July 19, 2011 at 9:03 am

Hi Blake,
Thanks for sharing your comment! This is an excellent example of how the Three of Cups can play out… doesn’t always have to be a ‘lover’ but can also be a mother / mother-in-law who may be somewhat ‘interfering’.
Biddy

rita July 21, 2011 at 11:08 pm

Hello i did a reading for a friend and her first card was the 3 of swords (I DID THE CELTIC CROSS) and i lay 3 more cards on top to help ecplin what is happening and on top of that she got the 10 swords, the hermit and 5 pentacles could that also mean break up.

rita July 21, 2011 at 11:10 pm

also forgot to mention I than did her partners cards and he got the hangman and on top of that we lay 3 cards and he got the 3 swords,page swords and 4 swords…

Biddy_Tarot July 22, 2011 at 1:08 pm

Hmm, it sounds like they are just hanging in there if they are still together. I wouldn’t be surprised if your friend was feeling incredibly lonely in the relationship and her partner is holding back or using this time to work out what he wants from the future. Your friend is probably going through a really tough time, so the best thing you can do is to be there for her and encourage her to open up and share her feelings about the relationship.

rita July 22, 2011 at 2:42 pm

rita

tina July 24, 2011 at 10:47 pm

Hi Biddy i was wondering about a spread i did for myself it was for a love spread for myself and my ex and suprisingly i got
king wands
king swords and
king cups
as me and my ex have recently parted could this mean that we will get back together again.

Biddy_Tarot July 25, 2011 at 8:51 am

Hi Tina,
Wow, three Kings! What I find most interesting about this is that, given it is a reading on a partnership, there are three Kings, and not two. This suggests that there may be some other men in your life who are playing a prominent role. Is it possible you have another two potential suitors?
Also, did you have specific positions in the spread, or was it just a three-card draw?
Biddy

tina July 25, 2011 at 3:35 pm

Hi Biddy
I used a Celtic cross that I learnt while doing a course on Tarot.
The King of wands was in the feelings position
the king swords was in the environment around me and the king cups was my hopes and fears.

Biddy_Tarot August 5, 2011 at 9:11 am

Hi Tina,
My initial view would be that the King of Swords indicate that your ex is using his rational / logical mind here and is not giving away anything. He is more pragmatic and perhaps even a little ruthless in the way he is approaching the relationship. Meanwhile, the King of Wands and Cups show that you are wanting something more connected and authentic, rather than the ‘arms length’ relationship which your ex seems to be encouraging.
Hope this helps,
Biddy

Eduarda August 4, 2011 at 9:38 pm

Hi Biddy,
First I want to thank you for your interpretations, I find it very helpful! Today my tarot spread was the strength inverted, page of cups inverted, 7 of wands, the chariot inverted, king of wands and the 8 of wands. Every area of my life is changeing so quickly that I am experiencing alot of fear. Trying to be strong.
Eduarda

Biddy_Tarot August 5, 2011 at 9:08 am

Hi Eduarda,
Well, there’s definitely a lot of change in the Eight of Wands! And probably at a much faster pace than you can keep up with. There are also a number of cards here that show your inner power and strength is at their weakest and that you may be realising your view of the situation has been idealistic and romantic, when the reality of the situation is quite different. Hang in there, and find ways to generate your own inner power and determine the path YOU want to take rather than what others dictate for you.
Biddy

Eduarda August 5, 2011 at 8:36 pm

Hello Biddy,
Your help has been of enormous help in inspiring me spiritually, everyday has been a different experience. Today I am feeling stronger, It must be because tomorrow is when my Transit Period begins. The two tarot cards today where the Ace of Swords and the Seven of Wands. I think that may be telling me to wait until I seek legal advice, because I have been struggling with my current relationship. Not to take things into my own hands but to stand my ground in a positive spiritual way. Did I intrepret this correctly?
Much appreciated,
Eduarda.

Margareth August 6, 2011 at 11:36 am

“Judgement” is also recommended for break-up. Simple rule, you need to pull through and move one in life.

Biddy_Tarot August 8, 2011 at 10:31 am

Great suggestion! Thanks for sharing!

Eduarda August 10, 2011 at 8:40 pm

Tina Rowley September 19, 2011 at 8:20 am

Hi Biddy,

What a terrific site. I’m so pleased to have discovered this! And your e-book looks amazing. Shall purchase it very soon.

Throwing out a couple more possible cards that might reinforce a break-up meaning:

1. The Wheel of Fortune
I’ve seen this come up when people are divorcing, particularly. This always signifies a sea change to me, and one that’s meant to be.

2. The Five of Cups
This card feels very much like the aftermath of a breakup, after the initial band-aid has been pulled off and you’re just sitting with the feelings of loss.

3. 9 of Swords
This one feels like a card that might come up if the querent is the one who’s likely to spearhead the break-up, and feels terrible about it.

Again, so happy to have discovered your work. :)

Wendy October 30, 2011 at 1:33 am

Hi Biddy
I have used a three card spread for my self a number of times, however over the last ten days I have done this three times and the same three cards have appeared – Page of cups, Hermit and 3 of Pentacles, I feel the cards are really trying to tell me something and for whatever reason I cant ‘understand@’. I always shuffle and cut my cards into three piles before choosing 3 cards, what are the odds of getting the same three times over?

Biddy_Tarot October 30, 2011 at 8:18 am

Hi Wendy. Definitely a sign that you need to pay attention to!! Have you seen my post on this topic – http://www.biddytarot.com/blog/repeated-cards ? Also, what were the positions in the spread you used? That will help to understand how these cards play out for you. Brigit

Dany December 3, 2011 at 7:33 am

I find it fascinating how the tarot cards “speak” to the reader. Some cards have different interpretations and I think it’s interesting how they mean one thing for one reader and a different one for the other, like in the Wheel of Fortune and how some see it as a very lucky card and others an unlucky one (to me it’s a lucky one). The Hanged Man to me represents a period of wait, not a break-up and the 9 of Swords tells me you’re making a bigger issue than it actually is, that you (or your querent) is getting all worked-up, stressed out and worried and that’s what’s making things bad (or worse). When I see it in a spread about a relationship it tells me you need to calm down because things are not as bad as they might seem and all that stress over then is what’s making the situation worse.
I also find that sometimes in a 3 card spread it’s not past, present, future or situation, influences, outcome or however you usually read it, but it’s a message in a whole and the last card doesn’t stand for what’s probably going to happen, but it’s part of the whole message.
I have a question for you, Biddy: recently I did a Celtic Cross reading regarding a romantic relationship and in the positions 9 and 10 I got the 4 of Wands and the Ace of Pentacles respectively, what do you think that means?

Biddy_Tarot December 4, 2011 at 10:00 am

Dany, great suggestions with the card meanings!
4 of Wands shows a desire for a happy, committed and stable relationship and the Ace of Pentacles shows the ability to actually start manifesting that goal! Go girl!

Dany December 6, 2011 at 3:47 am

Thank you Biddy!!! =) When reading for myself, I’m always afraid of being subjective and interpreting what I want to hear and now what the real message is, though most of the time the cards will be so clear they leave no room for such thing, lol.

Vathek January 13, 2012 at 9:45 am

Another thought about the 8 of cups, can’t it also mean in a new relationship that both people in the relationship (especially if the question is about both people) want to move away from a bad past together?

Biddy_Tarot January 13, 2012 at 7:30 pm

Vathek, I would say it’s possible, but you would want to see other cards in the reading that confirmed it, such as the Two of Cups, Lovers, Ten of Cups, Five of Swords reversed, etc. Thanks for your suggestion! Brigit

Vathek January 14, 2012 at 6:19 am

Thank you for the response. I’ve had this card come in in a cc reading that had the wheel of fortune, strength, the lovers, 10 of cups, the devil and the eight of cups, the moon and the king of wands as outcome in the same reading. It never seems to quite fit if I read it as walking a way from a relationship by myself. But it also shows up with 2 of cups, lovers, 10 of cups etc. I’m just trying to find alternate meanings for it.

Ilham March 12, 2012 at 7:33 am

this is really helpful for breakups or relationship reading generally. thnx thnx thnx. :)

Curlygirl March 22, 2012 at 3:52 am

Hi,
I love your website and find it very helpful in learning the cards more.
I have recently split up with my partner of nearly 6 months and have been very upset. I wondered if i would meet anyone else. I did 3 cards then 2 for confirmation. I got:
knight of wands, the fool, the tower,page of wands, the moon.
I read that as i’m starting a new journey with confidence, then it will all break down(the tower), then i will start another journey, then uncertainty and confusion(the moon)……it doesn’t look good.
Am i correct?
Many thanks.

Biddy_Tarot March 22, 2012 at 6:07 am

Hi Curlygirl,
I’m sorry to hear about your break up. I wouldn’t be surprised if you get involved in a bit of a rebound relationship that is a bit ‘fly by night’ / short and passionate! You may come to realise, though, that this isn’t what you want (Tower) and you pursue a different path that is more aligned to your values (Page of Wands). The Moon may indicate that you take a break from the dating scene and turn your attention inward to address any deeper emotional issues.
If you need some more help with a Tarot reading interpretation, please visit http://www.biddytarot.com/tarot-reading-interpretation/
Brigit

Curlygirl March 23, 2012 at 6:08 am

Hi,
Thank you for your quick response. I think i find it difficult reading the cards when i ask a question and say how pentacles relate to a love question. It really makes sense now you’ve read the cards in a different way.
Thanks again.

Nalini March 29, 2012 at 3:45 am

Hi Biddy_Tarot,

Your website is so great, especially for people like us who are new to tarot but desperately trying to look for answers.

Recently I broke up with my boyfriend and want to know if he will ever be back. We didn’t have a proper closer thus moving on is even more difficult. While doing a relationship spread I got:

Present Situation – King of Wands
Your World – The Fool
Your Lover’s World – The Hanged Man
Nature of Issues – The Emperor
Obstacles – The Sun
Lessons & Signs – The Hermit
Your Hopes, Fears & Desires – The World
Your Lover’s Hopes, Fears & Desires – Death/Rebirth
Challenges – Three Cups
Outcome – Nine of Pentacles

I know you mentioned that The Hermit Card and Death Card are significant signals for relationship breakups but as you’ve also mentioned that they might mean some solitary moments and change within a relationship, I’m not sure what to conclude.

Your opinion/advise would be very valuable indeed. Thanks.

Nalini March 29, 2012 at 3:57 am

For confirmation I did a second reading and below is the result:

Present Situation – Knight of Pentacles
Your World – Page of Pentacles
Your Lover’s World – Wheel of Fortune
Nature of Issues – Nine of Cups
Obstacles – The Fool
Lessons & Signs – Death/Rebirth
Your Hopes, Fears & Desires – Justice
Your Lover’s Hopes, Fears & Desires – Knight of Wands
Challenges – Ace of Cups
Outcome – The Devil

This doesn’t sound all that good, does it?

Biddy_Tarot March 30, 2012 at 1:15 am

Hi Nalini,
Possibly not the best for a reunion, especially with the Death card as the lesson. THis is all about change and embracing those changes.
If you would like a full interpretation, please check out my Tarot reading interpretation service – http://www.biddytarot.com/tarot-reading-interpretation/. Or, you can submit it for the Tarot Circle when I request submissions next week via FaceBook or the contact form on the website.
Thanks, Brigit

Catherine April 3, 2012 at 6:30 am

Hi Biddy!
Like everyone else, I also love the website!
I too recently ended a long-term relationship. But I’m just wondering what cards to look for as far as a ‘reconciliation’ goes?
I thought the Hermit and 6 cups represented a return of an ex? Is there anything else though that would specifically represent this?
Thanks,
Catherine

Biddy_Tarot April 4, 2012 at 2:27 am

Great question, Catherine. I would say the six of cups, two of cups, judgement, star, lovers, and possibly even death and the tower card. With the hermit, I would say a reversal would be more indicative of a reunion.

Catherine April 4, 2012 at 2:43 am

Wow, that is so interesting!!!

I have been doing alot of readings on this question for myself and my ex, and I keep pulling the (not necessarily in this order) Tower, 3 Swords, Six Cups, Judgement, Star, Hermit (upright, not reversed), and Two Cups….lots of twos!

I did a 3 card reading the other day asking the question about a returning lover and I got 3 two’s!! How crazy!? That’s never happened to me before. I always see two’s as a union but also choices.

jennie April 7, 2012 at 1:59 am

Hi, Biddy…
What kind of spread do u usually do when your doing a relationship spread? What cards do u usually see that indicates a relationship comming to an end, how are they usually positioned..?

Biddy_Tarot April 7, 2012 at 4:14 am

Hi Jennie,
The spread I use for a relationship reading generally depends on what the client wants to know, but check out my relationship spreads at http://www.biddytarot.com/tarotreading/.
When a relationship is coming to an end, I generally see the cards listed in this post… typically in an outcome position, although it’s not limited to the outcome – might be underlying issues, advice, etc.
Brigit

jennie April 7, 2012 at 4:49 am

Thanks, Biddy…. <3

Catherine April 17, 2012 at 4:38 am

Another question….

Well taking all of this info and everyone’s comments into account, i did a reading for my friend on the return of her ex-bf and pulled 3 cards….

DEATH, 2 CUPS, 10 CUPS

Strange. I would usually say that that’s the end if I see Death. But then taking the 2 and 10 cups into account, makes me a see a more positive outcome. Like there’s changes and transformations going on for both she and her man right now and that they’ll come back together.

What do you guys do when you’re faced with difficult questions from friends? I originally didn’t want to do the reading because I was afraid something ‘bad’ would come out and then I didn’t know if I was right or not so I start doubting everything…and I didn’t want to scare and upset her. In the end I kind of gave a two-way answer here…”it could be xyz….but it could also be abc.” Is this how you handle it?

Catherine April 17, 2012 at 5:07 am

Oh, I forgot to mention that all cards faced upright and when I had her shuffle again, the 10 cups popped out (right side up)!!! She put it back in before I could stop her and kept shuffling. Then! The first card I drew was the 10 cups *again.* I was a little freaked out…I have to admit.

I know this sounds completely crazy, but were the cards trying to “speak” to me? I mean, I was left speechless. All I could say was that it was a really really positive omen.

Anyone else have this happen to them before????

MandMaud June 17, 2012 at 4:55 am

Hi Catherine – I’ve just got round to reading this article and I have had something similar, the 10 Swords turning up twice in a row. That was only as a ‘card of the day’ and I thought I wasn’t really tuned in the first time, in fact I forgot I’d done the daily draw and that’s why i did it a second time!!

I am sure that when the cards reinforce themselves like this, they really mean it.

By the way hi Brigit as well! I’ve just friended you on Facebook, great to make contact as I find your site so useful. :)

MandMaud June 17, 2012 at 4:56 am

ps I’d much rather get the Ten of Cups than of Swords if it’s going to repeat itself… ;)

Nalini April 17, 2012 at 10:45 am

Did a relationship read with the Thoth Deck for myself and my ex boyfriend, Celtic spread.

Central Factor: Ten of Cups (Satiety)

Supporting Factor: Adjustment (VIII)

Influence of Past: The Emperor (IV)

Direction of Future: (The Lovers (VI)

Unconcious Influence: Nine of Disks (Gain)

Conscious Influence: seven of Wands (Valour)

Your Position: (Death (XIII)

Your Environment: The Star (XVII)

Advice: Three of Swords (Sorrow)

Summation: Three of Cups (Abundance)

It would be interesting to note what others have to say about this read. With future card as Lovers and summation being 3 of Cups does it indicate reconciliation and happiness in future or I’m being biased? It’s tricky to do a self read for a novice like me.

sue April 18, 2012 at 7:15 pm

I have just finished a visualisation of what i wanted to come to me.
When I finished this, I shuffled the deck and was going to just pick one card, but ended up with two.
First was the Le Bateleur, and the second was the 2 of wands. It is an old Ijj deck, so not sure if the wands were reversed. It may be as .11 was at the left hand corner of the card.
Thoughts anyone – this is not an easy deck to read, and I am not that proficient.

Thanks.

Brigit April 19, 2012 at 5:38 am

Sue, Le Bateleur is the same as the Magician, so seeing both this card and the Two of Wands, you are at a crossroads yet you are ready to put into action everything you have already learnt. I feel that you’re approaching this important decision with a lot of positive energy and you are ready to manifest what you truly want, not just now but also in the long-term.

LuLu726 May 6, 2012 at 1:21 pm

I am somewhat new to tarot and am trying to get more insight on a Celtic Cross reading I have just done. Question was How can I get my ex back?

Problem is, there are so many sites with various meanings to each numbered card (usually cards 3 – 8) in a celtic cross that I am not sure which one to use.

Looking for any insight into the below meaning please…

Card 1 – Strength Reversed (me and my present situation?)
Card 2 – The World (Obstacles or challenges?)
Card 3 – Nine of Wands reversed (Influences from the distant past?)
Card 4 – The Sun (Recent Past?)
Card 5 – Seven of Swords reversed (Near Future?)
Card 6 – The Devil Reversed (Present state of the problem?)
Card 7 – Ten of cups reversed
Card 8 – Page of wands
Card 9 – Two of Swords reversed (Hopes or Fears)
Card 10 – Knight of cups (Final Outcome)

Brigit May 6, 2012 at 7:10 pm

Others are welcome to comment in your reading. However, if you’d like an in-depth interpretation, please visit http://www.biddytarot.com/tarot-reading-interpretation/

Ramona July 6, 2012 at 1:06 am

My interpretation of the cards at hand (some you have labeled wrong) is no you wont be able to get your relationship back with this particular person.

This reading shows that you are giving your self false hopes, feeding your self untruths. hoping for something that is not going to happen. the devil reversed means that you have chained your self to the devil, meaning you are obsessing over this over and over again about what happened. replaying this relationship and resolve in your head when really u should be trying to find ways to heal and move on, let go, cry it out, heal and move on. Making your self open to the possibility that is will change and you will get back together is not going to help what is fact.

I feel (from the cards) that the issues you had with him was you were living under the sun, kind of blinded to all that was going on between the two of you. when issues arrived between you two, you acted as if hobwash. that there was nothing to contend with and brush all issues under the carpet when clearly you needed to deal with issues that arose between the two of you. I also feel as though you did this as if it was a defense mechanism. when ever an issue arose, you were like deflect, deflect deflect, nope not going to deal with it. i think a part of you thought that if its talked about real stuff that you would lose him so you just wanted to not deal with anything real. u just wanted under the sun fun. if that makes sense.

i think you will feel this way for some time. But not forever.

ADVICE FROM THE CARDS: deal with this end. when you do you will be released from the pain. when you are feeling balanced again. love will come knocking on your door again. I think this was a short term relationship. you will have other loves in the future.

rachelle May 25, 2012 at 7:27 am

The eight of cups as well. :)

rachelle May 25, 2012 at 7:29 am

Hi Brigit! Speaking of break up cards, can you write an article about the top 10 cheating cards? I know this might be a little more complicated, or perhaps not. Hope to hear from you, Rachelle

Brigit May 26, 2012 at 11:20 pm

Hi Rachelle,
I have been considering it as a possible topic. Not exactly the most constructive one, but I know it is often on people’s minds. Wait and see!
Brigit

rachelle May 27, 2012 at 3:35 am

Hi Brigit, thanks for your reply. But I don’t think I understand. Why would it NOT be constructive to know if your partner is cheating on you? Wouldn’t it be destructive, actually to remain in a bad relationship or to live in denial, or to not have your suspicions or insecurities calmed by a reading?

Rachelle

Brigit May 27, 2012 at 6:59 am

True. Perhaps what is most important is the context around the messages of the cards. So, if there are cards that indicate cheating or infidelit, the key message is, “There may be an issue here. Look more deeply into it before jumping to any conclusions.”

rachelle May 27, 2012 at 7:04 am

Right, like is there communication lacking, or is someone with holding affection for some other reason…nonethetless, I wouldn’t want to be with someone who deals with difficulties in relationships by resorting to infidelity. For me, I guess by then it would be too late, for others, they may want to work it out and try to move past it. It depends. By the way, I am glad you have this website, it is so much more than just about meaning of cards. It really helps with seeing things in life from all different angels and choices. Thanks so much for what you do!

joshua May 26, 2012 at 1:41 am

Hi i just had a relationship reading done for the first time and i was told something different then what you have. My cards were Death,The Emperor and the World and i was told that would be a positive change for my relationship. Is that true or do you think they could be taken differently?

Brigit May 26, 2012 at 11:17 pm

Hi Joshua,
I think that if that is what the reader saw in your cards, then trust the message. They will be seeing the whole reading as well as combining it with their own intuitive sense. Death is usually about positive change, World is about a cycle coming to an end and a new one beginning, and Emperor is about creating a firmer foundation. So, I would tend to agree with the interpretation, so long as the end of the cycle means the end of a cycle within the relationship, not the relationship itself.

Nalini May 27, 2012 at 12:21 pm

Hi!

When my relationship read was done about 3 months back I got pretty devastating cards to indicate things were over. Now the lessons and signs are 10 of Cups and outcome is 4 of Wands, obstacles is Emperor (his father). Do you think things are indicating move towards the positive?

Thanks.

Brigit May 27, 2012 at 7:12 pm

From those cards alone, yes, I would say that is a positive path forward.

Nalini May 27, 2012 at 9:05 pm

Thanks for your feedback, really appreciate it.

rose June 20, 2012 at 8:59 pm

Hi Biddy,
I recently did a tarot reading where I drew the King of Wands in the recent past, the King of Pentacles in the self position and the King of Cups in the Environment/Others position. Can the King of Cups also mean deception or manipulation meaning that the relationship is at its end? Or is it different when together with the other Kings?

Brigit June 20, 2012 at 10:07 pm

Interesting! Three Kings! Definitely a lot of male energy around you, and cycles maturing and developing to near completion. The upright King of Cups is typically a positive emotional energy – very balanced, genuine, sensitive. However, your instinct and intuition may be telling you something different, which you also need to listen to.

rose June 21, 2012 at 5:47 am

The cards that surrounded the Kings were also very interesting. For Centre and Crossing I got The Hierophant crossed by the Lovers, the basis card was the Wheel of Fortune. I had an Ace for my near future – the Ace of Wands and in my Hopes and fears I drew Strength. There was only 1 card in the minor arcana that wasn’t a court card…the 9 of cups in my possible outcome. Even the Outcome was a Royal, the Page of Cups. I’m totally new to divination, so I’m not sure what meaning to take from it.

Brigit June 21, 2012 at 6:28 am

If you’d like a personalised and in-depth interpretation with me, check out http://www.biddytarot.com/tarot-reading-interpretation/

Rhett June 21, 2012 at 6:01 pm

I recently found out from doing a predictive reading for someone that the 5 of Swords REVERSED can also foretell of a break-up…

Brigit June 22, 2012 at 7:13 pm

Great observation – thanks for sharing!

Ana June 26, 2012 at 4:10 am

Hi,

I pulled out one card for the question “what are is feelings for me?” and the answer was The World card. I don’t know what to make of that answer. What is your interpretation of the World in this context?

Thanks :)

Brigit June 26, 2012 at 6:24 pm

World – completion and fulfilment. If you are not together, then it would indicate that this relationship has come full circle and it is now finished and finalised. If you are together, then it may indicate that he is ready for the next phase in the relationship, a new commitment or a new beginning together.

MandMaud June 27, 2012 at 12:14 am

Hi Brigit and Ana! Could the World also (or alternatively) mean that you mean the world to him? !

Brigit June 28, 2012 at 7:24 am

Great literal translation :-)

Ramona July 6, 2012 at 12:32 am

WOW! this was an eye opener. In my reading we had the 10 of Swords connecting us. I took months trying to convince my self that i’m the clear cut winner in the end of our 4 year relationship. A struggle to find out who was hurt the most is what we both spent our time figuring out. What a waste of time it was. I realize that no one wins in the end. For a time during the drama of trying to keep our heads above the emotional water so as not to drown, we tend to push the other down trying to save ourselves. we forget the love we once shared and though it didn’t work out in the end. Though it had to come to an end, we must remember and appreciate the kind of love we held for each other. Now its a different kind of love, a love of caring. That’s what was most important to me. So what i’m saying is stop the hating. Realize the real reasons its over, a natural end. Release and let go with out hating. Remember, hating keeps us chained to the devil. Thats not how i want to be. I want to be free and start to clearly see my path ahead.

thanks for posting this.

Brigit July 7, 2012 at 6:03 am

Thanks for sharing, Ramona.